Thursday, January 10, 2008

New Rituals

I have begun a routine in which I insist that I do something intellectually productive every day. This ends up playing out as a trip to a coffeeshop and a couple of hours of reading and writing. I leave my house because it forces me to interact with the world and the movement itself is a good primer for casual reading. The location is usually a coffeeshop because the caffeine is vaguely inspiring. Coffeeshops are also public places and I like to see and be seen, like any other modern person.

This ritual is a centering practice: it reminds me that there are ideas that I care about in the world and that they are worth exploring.


Some blurry images from my life:






2 comments:

EB said...

i'm really excited about this site slowly turning into morecolorationbyadamjohnson.blogspot.com

p.s. snow day today! waxing nostalgic for you and refrigerated cookie dough

Trey said...

careful, a few hours reading in a coffee shop can quickly become many hours reading in a coffee shop. a couple of januaries ago i found myself spending 6+ hours a day in coffee shops and spending alot of money on books.

also, i wish that was somehow my job.