Sunday, October 21, 2007

Found Note - A Bit of California Geology

I found this note that taught me something new about California. I feel bad for the individual who lost it, but I'm glad I had the opportunity to learn a bit about the geology of the state. I've made transcribed the notes in a more readable style, but the content is unchanged.

[Midterm of 4-7]

Petroglyphs - scratched patterns by native peoples.

CA deserts are arid = desolate kind of landscape

Ventifact - triangular shaped faces created by wind. Carved by consistent non changed winds -> sandblasting effect.

Sand accumulates to form dunes (Algodones Dunes (near El Centro))

*Chapter 7

Basin to Range Province characterized by 1 of 3 types of faults
1. Normal Fault + special type = detachment fault
2. Reverse
3. Strike-slip.

basin and ranges -> oldest rocks uplifted.

[October 11th]

Oldest rocks in CA in Basin + Range -> Metamorphic.
Basin - low land areas
Range - mountain areas

->a series of low land basins accented with mt ranges.

Fault = a feature that's formed when rocks are broken and moved along the break

Stress: causes rocks to break.

Tensional Stress (pulling apart kind of stress) - crust


What's strange about finding this sort of note is that this information is passed on out of context; it is meaningful on a surface level to me, the new reader, but perhaps crucial for the note-taker to get that A grade.

2 comments:

Elyse Derosia said...

Adam! I linked you.

liz tortillaberg said...

god this is such a boring blog.

I talk to buster more than I talk to you.

how do i add links to peoples blogs on my own blog? like on the right hand side. i need your help, techie.